Kingston, Ontario, Canada, the seat of Frontenac County. It is a port on the northeastern shore of Lake Ontario, at the point where the lake enters the St. Lawrence River. Rideau Canal, 126 miles (203 km) long, connects Kingston with Ottawa to the northeast. Kingston's products include textiles and aluminum. Queen's University and the Royal Military College are in the city. Also here are Bellevue House, once the home of Canada's first prime minister, Sir John A. Macdonald, and Fort Henry, built in 1812 and now a museum.
The site of Kingston was first visited by the Comte de Frontenac and LaSalle in 1673. Fort Frontenac, built by the French, was destroyed by the British in 1758. The site was resettled in 1783 by United Empire Loyalists who left the United States after the Revolutionary War. During the War of 1812 Kingston was a British naval base. Kingston was incorporated as a city in 1838, and from 1841 to 1844, it was the capital of the Province of Canada.