Trois-Rivières, Quebec, Canada, a city in St. Maurice County. It is at the mouth of the St. Maurice River, where its three outlets join the St. Lawrence, about 80 miles (129 km) northeast of Montreal. Trois-Rivières is an industrial city and an important port on the St. Lawrence Seaway. Hydroelectric power is supplied by stations on the St. Maurice River. The city is one of the world's chief producers of pulp and paper, especially newsprint. There are also iron foundries, a cotton mill, and factories producing a wide range of goods.
Trois-Rivières was founded by the French in 1634 as a fortification against Indians and as a center for the fur trade and missionary work. It became an administrative center for a large part of eastern Canada, a position which it retained after the British occupation in 1763. In 1733 the first iron forges in Canada were established here. The lumber industry began in the 1840's. In 2002, Trois-Rivières merged with five other communities.
Population (2001 census): 46,264.