Bremen, Germany, the capital and chief city of the state of Bremen. The city is situated near the head of the Weser River estuary, about 30 miles (48 km) south of Bremerhaven and the North Sea.
Bremen is divided into Old Town on the east bank of the Weser and New Town on the west bank. Old Town retains a medieval flavor, with narrow, twisting streets and gabled houses. Prominent among its medieval buildings are the town hall and the cathedral. The medieval walls of the city have been razed and replaced by parks and lakes.
Bremen is one of the busiest ports in Germany and is a center of commerce and industry. Principal industries include shipbuilding and the manufacture of automobiles and textiles.
Bremen began as a fishing village. Late in the eighth century the emperor Charlemagne made it the seat of a bishop. By the 11th century Bremen was headquarters of an archdiocese that included Scandinavia, Iceland, and Greenland. In the 13th century, Bremen became a free (self-governing) city and a member of the Hanseatic League. The city became a part of the Electorate of Hannover in 1715 and of the German Empire in 1871.
The city was heavily damaged by Allied bombings in World War II. After the war Bremen was in the United States zone of occupation and, with Bremerhaven, was the chief port of supply for American troops stationed in Germany.
Population: 553, 200.