Kaliningrad, Russia, the capital of Kaliningrad region. The city was formerly called Königsberg, and was the capital of the German province of East Prussia. Kaliningrad is a seaport on the Pregel River, and is connected by a ship canal with the Baltic Sea. It is an industrial and commercial center. The city was founded in 1255 by the Teutonic Knights and became a member of the Hanseatic League. It was heavily bombed during World War II. In 1945 it was annexed by Russia.