Limerick, Republic of Ireland, the seat of County Limerick. It is a port at the head of the River Shannon estuary, 53 miles (85 km) north of Cork. Limerick has factories producing linen, lace, and gloves. There are also breweries, distilleries, tanneries, flour mills, and bacon-curing plants.
Limerick first appears in history in 812, when it was captured by the Danes. In 1174 it was conquered by the English and was strongly fortified. King John's Castle, built in 1210, stands nearby.