Paramaribo, Suriname, the capital, largest city, and chief port. It lies on the Suriname River, about 15 miles (24 km) from the Atlantic Ocean. Paramaribo is primarily a commercial and governmental center, with some light industry. Located here are the Suriname Museum and the University of Suriname.
Paramaribo was settled by the English around 1650 and ceded to the Dutch in 1667. It was reoccupied by the British from 1799 to 1802 and from 1804 to 1815.