Ellis Island, a 27-acre (11-hectare) island in New York Bay, about one mile (1.6 km) southwest of the southern tip of Manhattan Island. It was once the chief immigration station in the United States. In 1965 it was made part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument.
The United States bought the island from New York State in 1808, making it an arsenal and fort. In 1892 it became the nation's chief center for clearing immigrants from Europe. After 1943, it was used only as a detention center for persons being deported and for immigrants without proper entry permits. The station was closed in 1954 after having processed 16,000,000 immigrants in 62 years.
After restoration by the National Park Service and the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation, the former immigration processing center reopened in 1990 as the Ellis Island Immigration Museum.