Astoria, Oregon, the seat of Clatsop County. It lies at the mouth of the Columbia River, about 75 miles (120 km) northwest of Portland. Astoria was first settled in 1811 when representatives of the Pacific Fur Company, owned by John Jacob Astor (after whom the town was named), established a trading post on the site. It was the first permanent white settlement in the Northwest. The British took possession in 1813, renaming it Fort George. Restored to basis for an American claim to the Oregon country in the Anglo-American dispute over possession of the Northwest.