Dayton, Ohio, the seat of Montgomery County. It is on the Great Miami River in the southwestern part of the state, about 50 miles (80 km) northeast of Cincinnati. Dayton is sometimes called the “Cradle of Aviation,” because of the pioneer work done there by Orville and Wilbur Wright in the early 1900's. Dayton is an industrial city and a trade and distribution center for a rich farming area. Automobile parts and accessories, office and business machines, and home appliances are among its many manufactured products. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, a logistics and aerospace research center east of the city, is the largest employer in the Dayton area. The city is served by a municipal airport, several railways, and numerous highways, including two Interstate routes. Museums in Dayton include the Dayton Art Institute and the Dayton Museum of Natural History. In the Air Force Museum, at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, are comprehensive exhibits on military aviation. The home of the poet Paul Laurence Dunbar is a state historic house. Other places of interest include the Wright Brothers Memorial, the Victoria Theatre, and Carillon Park. In the park are a 32-bell carillon, a restored Wright Brothers' 1905 plane, and various exhibits devoted to the history of transportation. Among institution of higher education are the University of Dayton, Wright State University, a theological seminary, and several junior colleges. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is the home of the Air Force Institute of Technology. Dayton has the council-manager form of government. Dayton was settled in 1796. The settlement was incorporated in 1805 and was named for Jonathan Dayton, a signer of the U.S. Constitution and a local landowner. The city grew with the opening of the Miami and Erie Canal in the 1840's and the construction of railways, beginning in the 1850's. Dayton reached a population of 85,000 in 1900. A devastating flood occurred there in 1913, prompting the construction of one of the nation's first comprehensive floodcontrol projects. The city's largest population, 262,000, was reached in 1960. Extensive urban redevelopment began in the early 1970's. In 1995, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base was the site of peace talks that ended the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina (1992–95).
Population: 166, 179.