Dearborn, Michigan, a city in Wayne County. It is on the River Rouge and adjoins Detroit on the southwest. Dearborn was the home of Henry Ford, who established his automobile factory here. The Rouge plant of the Ford Motor Company is here. Other factories produce automobile parts, aircraft, and steel and metal parts. The city has a freight port on the River Rouge.
Greenfield Village, built at Dearborn with Ford money, is really a vast outdoor museum showing the development of agriculture, transportation, industry, science, and education in the United States. The village buildings include Thomas Edison's laboratory from Menlo Park, New Jersey; the Wright Brothers' bicycle shop from Dayton, Ohio; a courthouse from Lincoln, Illinois, where Abraham Lincoln practiced law; the birthplaces of Luther Burbank and Henry Ford; and many other historical monuments. Many of the buildings were moved piece by piece from their original locations.
Adjoining the village is the Henry Ford Museum. Its front buildings are replicas of Independence Hall, Congress Hall, and the Old City Hall of Philadelphia. The museum houses many objects connected with American history, especially those having to do with the development of technology.
Dearborn was settled in 1795 and organized as a village in 1893. It was chartered as a city in 1927. In 1929 it annexed adjoining Fordson. The city has the mayor-council form of government.