Elkhart, Indiana, a city in Elkhart County. It is at the junction of the St. Joseph and Elkhart rivers, 100 miles (160 km) east of Chicago. Elkhart is an industrial city in the midst of an agricultural region, which it serves as a trade center. Products include musical instruments, chemicals, mobile homes and trailers, recreational vehicles, machinery, steel products, furniture, and rubber goods. Elkhart has a mayor-council form of government.
Elkhart was founded in 1832 and chartered as a city in 1875. The name comes from the shape of a small island in the St. Joseph River, which suggested an elk's heart to the Indians who originally lived in the area.