Fort Wayne, Indiana, the seat of Allen County. It is about 100 miles (160 km) northeast of Indianapolis, near the Ohio border. The St. Marys and St. Joseph rivers join here to form the Maumee River. Fort Wayne is primarily an industrial city, but it also serves as a trade, supply, and shipping center for a large farming area.
The Lewis A. Warren Lincoln Library and Museum has outstanding collections pertaining to Abraham Lincoln. The Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society Museum has varied exhibits on the history of the area. Also in Fort Wayne are a botanical conservatory, a municipal art museum, and Historic Fort Wayne, a reconstruction of the 19th-century military post for which the city is named. Educational institutions include Indiana University-Purdue University at Fort Wayne and Saint Francis College.
The Miami Indians once had villages at this strategic river junction and portage. The French built a trading post here in the late 1600's and at Fort Miami in 1704. Another military post, Fort Wayne, was built on the site by General Anthony Wayne in 1794. The Treaty of Fort Wayne, by which Indians ceded large areas to the United States, was concluded here in 1809. The settlement remained a fur-trading post after its fort was abandoned in 1819. It was incorporated in 1829.