Lansing, Michigan, a city in Ingham County and the capital of the state. It is at the junction of the Grand and Red Cedar rivers, 85 miles (137 km) west-northwest of Detroit. The city's chief industry is production of automobiles, trucks, and automotive equipment. Other products include metals and machinery. Lansing is the trade and financial center for the state's richest farm area.
The capitol, built in 1878-79 of New Hampshire granite, is surrounded by a 10-acre (4-hectare) park. Also in the city are the state library, the Michigan Historical Museum, and Potter Park and Zoo. In nearby East Lansing is Michigan State University.
Lansing was founded in 1837 by settlers from Lansing, New York. It was made Michigan's capital in 1847 while still a wilderness settlement. Lansing was chartered as a city in 1859 and was rechartered in 1912 after a period of extensive growth. In the 1890's it became a center of building wagons and carriages. In the early 1900's Ransom E. Olds developed its automotive industry.