North Little Rock, Arkansas, a city in Pulaski County. It is on the Arkansas River, opposite Little Rock, of which it is an industrial suburb. North Little Rock has railroad shops and stockyards. In 1936 the federal government built a three-mile (4.8 km) dike along the river to protect the city from floods. North Little Rock was founded in 1839 and incorporated in 1871 with the name Argenta. The present name was adopted in 1919.