Princeton, New Jersey, a municipality in Mercer County. It is on the Millstone River, 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Trenton and about 55 miles (89 km) southwest of New York City. Princeton, a community of homes and educational institutions, prohibits factories within its limits. It is the site of Princeton University, Westminster Choir College, Princeton Theological Seminary, the Institute for Advanced Study, and several other educational and cultural institutions. Historic buildings include “Morven,” built in 1701 and now the official residence of the state's governor.
Quakers arrived in the area in 1696, and called their settlement Stony Brook. The name was changed in 1724 in honor of William III, Prince of Orange. The first state legislature met here in 1776. In the Battle of Princeton in 1777, George Washington defeated the British garrison stationed here. (Princeton Battlefield is now a national historic landmark.) From June to November of 1783 the Confederation Congress met in Princeton instead of Philadelphia.