San Leandro,California, a city in Alameda County. It lies on the east side of San Francisco Bay, eight miles (13 km) south of downtown Oakland. Like many of the communities in the East Bay area that once were largely residential, San Leandro is now a sizable industrial and commercial city. Products include processed foods, trucks and tractors, wood products, scientific instruments, metal goods, and paper items. Cherries and cut flowers are notable commercial crops in the area. The city has the council-manager form of government.
The first settler at San Leandro was José Joaquin Estudillo in 1837. A village was established in 1849, and the town was laid out six years later. From 1854 until 1871 San Leandro was the seat of Alameda County. The city was incorporated in 1872.